Arthur C. Esposito, ETC(SS), USN (ret)

Arthur was born in Brooklyn, New York; raised in Brooklyn, Queens, and his family moved to New Hyde Park, NY (on Long Island). He attended Brooklyn Technical High School and graduated in 1961. He attended Queens College at night one semester and found it was not for him. He decided to join the Navy before he was drafted into the Army.

He joined the Navy in January 1962, and went to boot camp in Great Lakes, Illinois. Upon completion of boot camp, he went to Electronics Technician ‘A’ School at Great Lakes. Near the end of ‘A’ school he volunteered for submarines and received orders to report to Submarine School, New London, CT.

When he finished sub school, he got orders to the USS DOGFISH (SS -350). He earned his dolphins in June 1964. He was stationed aboard DOGFISH from September 1963 to August 1965. He was having such a good time, he decided to re-enlist. He got orders to NAVAIDS School in Dam Neck, Virginia. When He graduated from Dam Neck he had orders to the CALHOUN Blue to report aboard in May 1966.

He remained onboard the JCC through the first overhaul at Mare Island, CA. He married Jo A. Black (his cousin’s best friend) in January 1969. He stayed on board the JCC until June 1972. From the JCC, he went to instructor duty at the FBMSTC in Charleston via Basic Instructor Training in Norfolk, VA. At the training center he started out as NAVAIDS equipment instructor then shifted to the team trainer group. He remained at FMBSTC until March 1976 (42 month tour) thanks to some Navy extensions.

He then went to the USS WOODROW WILSON (SSBN-624) from March 1976 to June 1979. He finally made Chief in December 1978. From the WILSON, he went back to FMBSTC. Once again, he was assigned to the team trainer group. He was selected for advancement to Senior Chief but decided to retire instead. He did not want to punch any more holes in the ocean. He started separation leave in March 1982 and my retirement date was the end of April 1982.

In March 1982, his family moved to Reston, Virginia and he started working for Sperry Training as a Navigation curricula training specialist. The company started out as Sperry, became UNISYS, then Paramax, back to UNISYS, Loral (for 4 months), and finally Lockheed Martin. In 2002 he had been in the FBM program for nearly 40 years.

In June 2002, he was diagnosed with Leukemia, recived chemo and it went into remission for about a year. He had a relapse in July 2003 and received a bone marrow transplant from one of his younger brothers in October 2003. Arthur passed away in 2005.

Prior to his death Arthur was the Treasurer of the United States Submarine Veterans Northern Virginia Base. He and his wife were also members of the Order of Sons of Italian Americans.